A “slip and fall” commonly refers to an accident on somebody else’s property, caused by some kind of carelessness by the owner of the property. It doesn’t always literally mean a slip followed by a fall, but can also include falls down stairs, objects falling from improperly stacked shelves or injuries from broken furniture. You may also hear the term “occupier’s liability” or “premises liability” attached to these accidents.

A slip-and-fall can happen not just at a private home but at a store, office building, community centre, playing field or other public area. “Occupier” refers to the owner or person in charge of the property, who has a responsibility to keep it safe for the people who enter it, whether they are guests or the general public.

A slip-and-fall may result in serious injuries, including:

Time Is Not On Your Side

It’s important to talk to a lawyer as soon as possible after a slip-and-fall. There are often very strict limits on how long you have to file a claim, especially if you are injured on public property. The law requires that, with certain types of claims against municipalities, notice must be provided within 10 days of the incident.

There are also issues with evidence. Many slip-and-falls happen because of icy steps or wet floors, exposed cords, uneven stairs, loose railings or improper stacking on shelves. Evidence of your accident may disappear very quickly, and eyewitness testimony loses value the longer you wait to get it. It important to get evidence — pictures, statements, etc. — as quickly as possible.

Even if your injuries seem minor and likely to heal quickly, come and talk to us.

The worst that will happen is that you will file and later realize that you don’t need compensation. Otherwise you may realize months later that your injuries are more serious than you thought, but you have no way to be compensated for your losses because you have missed a deadline. This can be particularly difficult to live with if you end up losing income due to missing work, needing extensive medical care or rehabilitation, or suffering permanent physical damage from your accident.